Like most boys, Cole loves cargo pants and shorts. All those pockets for storing treasures...
But I knew I'd be using a rather loud red linen for the pants and that Cole would not roll them up or need a belt at the waist. So there would be no need for bias tape-covered seams, button tabs and belt loops, as called for in the pattern. I love the idea of contrasting bias tape to conceal seams, but I didn't think I could pull it off with this particular fabric.
For the most part, I found the instructions well-written and easy to follow. I had a difficult time with the zippered fly, however. I struggled with it for a couple of hours, and while it was eventually installed, it's narrower than pictured, required a hook and eye instead of a button, and I am all-around unhappy with the result. I'm not in a hurry to try again either. The next pair of pants will have a faux fly.
That being said, I am wild about the pockets and grateful to have learned new techniques. New-to-me box pleat cargo pockets, welt pockets, and front pockets. These turned out very well, too.
The waistband also adds a nice touch. I really like the contrast lining (those Kokka Trefle cars are adorable). Because I didn't add belt loops, I "hid" where I sewed in the elastic by stitching in line with the front pockets' topstitching.
Other than the fly debacle, the pants were fairly easy to put together. This pattern is not a quick sew, but it does make a great-fitting, well-constructed pair of pants. Cole loves them, and for me, there's no higher praise than that.