Sunday, July 7, 2013

Crafts: Modern Crosses Quilt

I spent all of June working on Susan Beal's Modern Crosses Quilt, from her Modern Log Cabin Quilting: 25 Simple Quilts and Patchwork Projects.

I made it for a friend who collects crosses, loves the color purple, and wanted a quilt showcasing her husband's military uniforms. The quilt design and color palette are a perfect pairing.

The crosses take a lot of time to piece (45 minutes each), but they aren't difficult to make. They also use very little print fabric (you could make multiple crosses from a single fat quarter); however, I used nearly six yards of solid off-white fabric to make the lap-sized quilt.

Initially, we were going to machine-tie the quilt and add uniform buttons to the center of each cross, but I thought the quilt needed more structure and wasn't sure how comfortable a quilt with 40 buttons sewed onto it would be. In the end I quilted around each cross and omitted the buttons, and I like it like that.

My friend is pleased, too! I know this is a quilt she and her family will treasure, and will remind them of their time in the military.

No comments:

Post a Comment