Monday, March 11, 2013

Books: C. Clare Readathon

I did finish Wildwood, which I thought was a Chronicles of Narnia and Rumplestiltskin mash-up. The writing, level of description, characters, etc. were good, but the story was not terribly original. I won't read its sequel, or any other follow-on titles.

Once I worked my way through the Impassable Wilderness, I read Cassandra Clare's Clockwork Prince. I didn't love it as well as Clockwork Angel, but I still loved it and cannot wait for Clockwork Princess to come out on the 19th. Seriously, I cannot wait.

I'm so impatient that I stopped waiting for City of Bones to be returned to the library, bought it, and read all five books in The Mortal Instruments Series within a matter of days. I should have read more slowly, but I couldn't help it. I always want to know what happens next.

That being said, I do prefer The Infernal Devices Series to The Mortal Instruments. The time, setting, and characters of the former are far more appealing to me, but I am invested in both series. And they do tie together as prequel/sequels are meant to do.

I then read Beautiful Creatures (Caster Chronicles, Book 1) by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl. This is an original story, and while the authors did an excellent job developing the plot, the pacing of the story is off. I thought it needed another round of editing, and maybe 100 fewer pages. I also think Beautiful Creatures should have been a standalone book. I can't muster enough interest to find out what happens during Lena's seventeenth, eighteenth, or any other moon. To me, Lena claimed herself on her sixteenth moon and the story's over.

Beautiful Creatures and City of Bones may not be my favorite books, but I do want to see how Hollywood chose to bring these novels to life. Someday.

I'm going back to the library today for more books.

No comments:

Post a Comment