Sunday, March 17, 2013

Crafts: Explorer Vest

Cole is having an archaeology-themed birthday party this weekend, so I made the Oliver + S Little Things to Sew Explorer Vest (p. 99) for him to wear.

I used a lovely toffee linen for the exterior, a woodsy print from Ed Emberley's Happy Drawing fabric line for the lining, variegated thread, bright green bias tape, and faux leather buttons. I love the finished look, and Cole seems to approve. Of course, the five fun pockets help.

The book/pattern directions are very well-written, and I had no trouble creating the vest. It certainly took time to make and affix the bellows pockets, but each step of the process was clearly explained and illustrated. Plus, the pattern results in an extremely high quality end product - something to hang onto and later pass down. I now want to try other Oliver + S patterns for boys, and I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment