Thursday, April 4, 2013

Crafts: Petal Pocket Pillow

Heather Ross's Playing Horses fabric reminds me of the fun I had with my cousin and her horse. I was twelve, and Christine taught me how to ride. It was the highlight of my summer. In a way, the blonde and brunette girls printed on the fabric remind me of the two of us...

A neighbor's friend saw a tote bag I made with this fabric and asked me to make something with it for her three-year-old daughter. I initially thought of making another bag, but I later decided a fun pillow would showcase the fabric best. Enter Nova's Petal Pocket Pillow:

I've had this pattern since it was first released, but I hadn't gotten around to making it until now. What a shame! It's a wonderful pattern, with clear directions, demonstrative photos, fun details, and helpful tips. And of course Cole wants a Pillow Pocket (boy version) of his own!

I hemmed and hawed over which fabrics to use for this pillow's petals but finally settled on dusty peach, muted orange, and various shades of brown (all polka dot and geometric designs). I wanted the little girls and their horses to be the focal points of the piece.

For the background I used a white on ivory polka dot fabric, which not only carries on the polka dot theme but also feels just right for a little girl. Sugar and spice, and everything nice...

The fabric on the back features a pastoral vignette, which plays well with the horses. And the pillow is framed with yet another polka dot fabric.

Because I wanted to make a 16-inch pillow instead of the pattern's 20-inch arrangement, I scaled the pattern to 80%. The smaller petals are not difficult to work with, and the pocket size is just fine for small- to medium-sized treasures.

I hope the girl's mother approves! If not, I'll save it for another horse lover, perhaps my cousin (if she wants it).

No comments:

Post a Comment