Thursday, December 19, 2013

Crafts: Drawstring Gift Bags

Cole's class is having another snack exchange. This time I made drawstring bags with leftover How the Grinch Stole Christmas fabric and filled them with homemade cookies.

I used Caila Made's Mini Drawstring Bag tutorial, but modified the dimensions and made the casing differently. I cut my fabric 7 X 9 inches (versus 7 X 12), and when sewing the sides together backstitched 1.25 inches from the top, left a half-inch gap, and backstitched again 1.75 inches from the top. These changes give the bag a rectangular shape and make a neat opening for the drawstring once the casing is sewn closed - no seam ripping required.

The best part is these bags are reusable, and the kids or their parents can use them to "wrap" small Christmas gifts, stuff them into stockings, etc.

My mother made the Santa basket, and it's been one of my favorite Christmas decorations since childhood. Cole also likes it, and is looking forward to Santa visiting his classroom tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment